Sunday, March 23, 2014

Dreams

According to the video and the text, dreams are something everyone has.  There are many theories about dreams. Some believe that dreams are a symbol of what is being repressed in real life. Others believe that dreams have no connections or meaning to the real world. Dreams are considered an “alternate state” of mind. They happen unconsciously most of the time.  Sometimes we dream because something is bothering us or running through the mind. I believe dreams are influenced by things that happen while you’re awake. Then, you process what you took in that day. Dreams may serve as a sign of what is bothering us or what we need to change in our lives. Other dreams may serve no specific purpose at all. I am one to have the same reoccurring dreams and very rarely do I ever have a new dream. Recurring dreams are usually caused by something in life that needs to be changed. Nightmares often affect me too. It is also rare that I ever have good dreams. Typically nightmares are caused by traumatic experiences or something to cause fear. Other times, nightmares may not even be related to anything. We should pay attention to recurring dreams, events that happen in them, and the setting. Who is in the dream and what role do they play? I live in the country. I have a recurring dream that I am in my back yard on a field trip with my classmates and a teacher, although I don’t know who any of them are. There are no familiar faces. Out of nowhere the teacher is screaming at us, telling us to run inside because we are being chased by a bear. We barely make it into the house before the bear pounces at the front screen door. I am now alone in my house, wondering where my teacher and classmates are and if they are alright. Will the bear get into the house and why is it only coming after me? As soon as I find out that everyone is okay, the dream instantly begins to replay and reply until I wake up. There have been a few times that I woke up physically crying because I was screaming and crying in my dream. On many occasions, I have had dreams that I’m being abducted and I’m trying to scream from the car window and nothing will come out. I would believe my bear dream to symbolizing something following me throughout life that bothers me. I think if I could eliminate whatever that is, that dream may end. The dream about not being able to get anything out when I’m screaming, I think this has to do with my issues with communication. I want so badly to share with people my thoughts and emotions, but I have difficulties speaking out and sharing what I am feeling. My body shuts down and doesn't allow me to speak. That is a challenge that I need to overcome and I think the dream is a potential reminder to keep working at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment